Hi, I'm Ben from The Lodger. This is my new blog - "Moortown Diary" - so named because I live in Moortown, it's kind of a diary and it's also the name of a collection by Ted Hughes (that other Northern genius).
As you can see from the photograph I've been up to my goggles in ledgerlines of late. This is because we're going into the studio next week to put the finishing sprinklings on what will be our next release - a new single - and we're bringing a trumpet player in. So i've been writing some parts and getting them down on manuscript paper and quite frankly my head is pulsating due to adding up lengths of notes etc. Also I have been lamenting about why on earth whoever invented the trumpet decided to make it tuned a tone lower than concert pitch meaning it's annoying to write for. Presumably so it goes "one higher". I will report back when we've finished recording...
Last night I was listening to the soundtrack of the Woody Allen film "Sweet and Lowdown" which, for the unaware, is kind of a spoof documentary film about a fictitious guitarist who is a rival of Django Reinhardt's and starred Sean Penn and Samantha Morton, who has to be the only person to have been nominated for an Oscar for a role with no dialogue. Anyway....it got me onto listening to some Django Reinhardt which is bloody sublime. Go, listen!